Changes to Board of Directors and committees
Spire Healthcare Group plc
('Spire Healthcare', 'the Company' or 'the Group')
Changes to Board of Directors and committees
14 October 2022
Spire Healthcare Group plc (LSE: SPI), a leading independent hospital group in the UK, today announces that, having completed a number of years of service, Adèle Anderson, Tony Bourne and Simon Rowlands will step down from the Board at the Company's annual general meeting in May 2023 and not seek re-election by shareholders, and the appointment of three new Non-Executive Directors.
Non-Executive Director appointments
Paula Bobbett will join as an independent Non-Executive Director from 1 November 2022. Paula brings significant retail and digital commerce expertise and is currently Chief Digital Officer at Boots UK where she is leading the retailer's digital transformation. Prior to joining Boots in 2020, Paula held senior roles at Dixons Carphone over seven years, latterly as Head of Online Experience, and previously at Avon.
Debbie White will join as an independent Non-Executive Director from 1 February 2023. Debbie is a highly experienced PLC director and is currently interim HR Director of BT Group Plc. She was the Chief Executive Officer of Interserve Group from 2017 to December 2019 which she joined from Sodexo where she held various executive roles including Global Chief Executive Officer of Sodexo Healthcare and Sodexo Government.
Natalie Ceeney CBE will join as an independent Non-Executive Director on 1 May 2023. Natalie is a seasoned portfolio director with a large-scale general management background and experience in digitisation, transformation and regulation. She is a non-executive director of Anglian Water Services Limited, Openreach, Ford Credit Europe and Liverpool Financial Services Ltd (LV=). Natalie will become a member of the Remuneration Committee on appointment and chair the committee from 12 May 2023.
The Company further confirms that:
· Martin Angle will step down as Senior Independent Director from the conclusion of the Company's annual general meeting next year and Debbie White will assume the role. He will remain the Company's Deputy Chairman; and
· Martin Angle will take over from Adèle Anderson as chair of the Company's Audit and Risk Committee from 1 May 2023. Adèle will remain a member of the Audit and Risk Committee until she steps down from the Board.
Sir Ian Cheshire, Spire Healthcare's Non-Executive Chairman, said:
"We are delighted that Paula, Debbie and Natalie have agreed to join Spire's Board. The breadth of their expertise and experience will be a highly valuable addition to our Board and the Company.
"I would also like to thank Adèle, Tony and Simon for their considerable contribution to Spire over a combined 20 years on the Board, and in the case of Tony and Simon this has been since the Company listed in 2014."
For further information please contact:
Angus Prentice - Interim Head of Investor Relations
+44 (0)20 7427 9000
+44 (0)20 7457 2020
About Spire Healthcare
Spire Healthcare is a leading independent hospital group in the United Kingdom, with 39 private hospitals and eight clinics across England, Wales and Scotland.
Working in partnership with around 8,150 experienced Consultants, Spire Healthcare delivered tailored, personalised care to almost 870,000 in-patients and daycase patients in 2021, and is the leading private provider, by volume, of knee and hip operations in the United Kingdom.
The Group's well-located and scalable hospitals have delivered successful and award-winning clinical outcomes, positioning the Group well with patients, Consultants, the NHS, GPs and Private Medical Insurance ("PMI") providers. 98% of Spire Healthcare's inspected hospitals and clinics are rated 'Good' or 'Outstanding' by the Care Quality Commission ('CQC') or the equivalent in Scotland and Wales.
Spire Healthcare treats patients through a variety of routes including PMI, self-pay and the NHS, providing the Group with diversified access to the expected growth opportunities in the UK healthcare market, which faces significant supply challenges as a result of NHS budget constraints and increasing demand from a growing population with longer life expectancy.
(1) Debbie White is currently a non-executive director of Howden Plc, a director of PAVmed Inc (a multi-product medical device company which is listed on the NASDAQ), a director of Lucid Diagnostics Inc (a subsidiary of PAVmed, Inc and listed on the NASDAQ), and she is a trustee and chair of the audit committee for the charity Wellbeing of Women. Debbie was the Chief Executive Officer of Interserve Group until the end of December 2019 and prior to this held various senior positions within Sodexo, including Global Chief Executive Officer of Sodexo Healthcare and Sodexo Government, CFO in the UK & Ireland, CFO of Sodexo Inc. (the North American subsidiary of Sodexo SA), and later CEO for Sodexo UK & Ireland. Debbie started her career with Arthur Andersen in the UK, before joining AstraZeneca where she held a range of financial roles. She later became a director and subsequently an associate partner at PwC Consulting where she worked across a number of sectors in a global capacity.
(2) Natalie Ceeney CBE is a non-executive director of Anglian Water Services Limited, Openreach, Ford Credit Europe and Liverpool Financial Services Ltd (LV=). Natalie has spent more than 20 years leading organisational and digital transformation, firstly as a McKinsey & Company consultant and then as an executive. She has worked across a range of sectors, both public and private, and has experience as a regulator as well as a CEO. Natalie's executive career included chief executive roles at HM Courts & Tribunals Service, the Financial Ombudsman Service, the National Archives and as a member of HSBC's UK executive team.
(3) It is confirmed that there are no further details to be disclosed pursuant to LR9.6.13R (1) to (6) for Paula Bobbett, Debbie White and Natalie Ceeney.
(4) Spire Healthcare's next annual general meeting is currently scheduled for 11 May 2023.